Before you have that feedback conversation you need to do some preparation. The following tips may be of assistance.
• Think about what you are going to say and how you are going to say it.
• Put yourself in the employees shoes – how would you like to hear the feedback
• Have the conversation without the table or desk [they can be seen as a barrier]
• Think about your communication style and the employee you are speaking to. For some employees you might need to set the context before giving the feedback
• Be confident; present the facts, give example/s if you can.
• Don’t be judgemental or patronising
• Consider the employee’s point of view/perspective
• What do you want to hear from the employee at the end of the conversation to ensure that the feedback has been received and understood.